Jeremy Blake

It is easy to find out about Jeremy Blake’s life, and most especially his death. However finding his work outside of still images is a more difficult task.

I looked at Century 21. I have to say I am not sure if I really understand it. Maybe because I read into Blake’s life before looking at his art I unintentionally created preconceptions for what to expect. Several articles had a discussion of fluidity in his works. While I could seem the smoothness of some of the transitions in this work I did not feel fluidity. Again perhaps this is because there were other artists we recently looked at whose’s works just more clearly embodied motion.

Screen Shot 2015-11-18 at 3.58.52 PM

Since I did do more reading into Blake I was really interested in watching Winchester. The phantom like images that passed through the screen and lead to transitions between the scenes. The constant clicking film in the background gave the piece in my mind more anxiety to it. Along with the stills of violence in the background.

Screen Shot 2015-11-18 at 4.03.27 PM

Overall Jeremy Blake’s work was sort of a puzzle to me trying to figure out what to think of it.