Final Process

The process for creating my final.

Hour 1: The first hour was dedicated to finding my source material. I used the website comicbookplus.com to find interesting public domain comic pages. Screen Shot 2015-12-01 at 3.49.27 PM

Under the “leading ladies” category I searched through numerous comics for scenes that caught my eye or were visually interesting. I pulled out 16 potential pages to work from. Ultimately I restored and used only two of the chosen group.

leading ladies

Hours 2-7: By sheer coincidence the two pages I chose where from the same comic, although from different issues and with totally different characters. The series was called Dizzy Dames, and heavily played up the stereotype of stupid young pretty girls.

dizzydames

This was the first page I decided to work with for the final.

broadway babes rent

The particular page of the Broadway Babes segment was the first I worked on restoring. I started off with fixing the colors of the girl’s dresses, moved on the the background, as well as the text. I also painted over the girls original eyes to make them pop better in the image.  This took a little over seven hours to get the colors exactly how I wanted them. For some of the more finer details I had to go pixel by pixel to get the precise look. I took these colors from existing ones already in the work, making great use of the clone stamp too. (About 90% of this project was clone stamp tool created)

Screen Shot 2015-12-01 at 4.25.18 PM

Around half way through the work time for this piece I realized that I had accidently damaged one of the girl’s ear. Every way I tried to fix it ended up looking more unnatural then the last. Finally I decided to transplant her ear from a different panel into this one. I duplicated the ear and in a separate document flipped and resized it to fit the new panel. After ear surgery unless you look too closely it came out rather well.

the ear new ear

Hour 8-10: In these 3 hours I set on restoring my second image. Considering how much time I had already spent on the first image I decided to choose one that would need less time to restore.

11

For this page my main concern was bringing out the different colors, especially the blacks, whites, and reds. Also cleaning up some of the text art, and general color fades. The silhouettes and expressions on the girls faces are what drew me to choosing this page.

This screenshot is an example of some of the fine tuning I had to do to the lettering. I got rid of the graininess of the top layers and smoothed it out into a basic solid color.

Screen Shot 2015-12-03 at 4.41.41 PM

Hours 11 & 12: I gave myself these two hours to make a last go around each piece and make sure I was fully content with the restoration process. While restoration did take up the bulk of the time I spent on this project I found that it created crisper and brighter end pieces, so taking the time for it really paid off.

Hours 13-17: Fracture and recreate. In 4 hours I took the painstakingly restored images and manipulated them into the final works. I started with the original “Broadway Babes” page and for about 40 mins turned an angry telling panel into a full blow spectacle. After that I went back to the same restored image and created another work this time choosing to emphasis text over image, this took over an hour. I originally settled on just replacing each text bubble with the same phrase. However after some more thought, and feed back,  I decided to push it forward and let the text consume the page. I then moved into the next page. My first work out of it was simpler the intital distortion took 15 mins and another 15 went into touching it up. After that I decided to create another piece focused on the expressions. I arranged my favorite faces into a corner that I could repeat throughout the work.

faces

I then created two different pieces, one of which did not make the final cut. Both relied on mixing and interacting the faces I had arranged and the colors I had lined up.

Final: After around 17 hours of restoration and then deconstructing I ended with several interesting pieces and lots of clone stamp experience.